• PRINT EDITIONS
  • Contact Us
  • | TEL: 304.466.0005 | E: hello@hintonnews.com
Saturday, July 25, 2026
The Hinton News
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
    • Local News
    • State News
    • National News
    • Government
  • Community
  • Obituaries
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • PUBLIC NOTICES
    • LOCAL LEGAL NOTICES
    • PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENTS
    • STATEWIDE LEGAL SEARCH
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Crime
    • Local News
    • State News
    • National News
    • Government
  • Community
  • Obituaries
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • PUBLIC NOTICES
    • LOCAL LEGAL NOTICES
    • PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENTS
    • STATEWIDE LEGAL SEARCH
No Result
View All Result
The Hinton News
No Result
View All Result

Latest News

A view of part of Moncove Lake State Park (Photo: West Virginia State Parks)

Moncove Lake State Park: A Hidden Gem

July 24, 2026

Governor Morrisey Highlights Progress as Flood Recovery Efforts Expand

July 23, 2026
Amy Lowry Parker in front of her California home taken around 2019. (Courtesy of her daughter, Kathi Mericle.)

Family trailblazer Amy Lowry Parker clung firmly — and proudly — to her Summers County roots

July 23, 2026

Recycle Lady: Office Paper, PFAS & More

July 22, 2026

Summers County Courthouse News

July 22, 2026
Photo: WV State Water Festival/Facebook

2026 WV State Water Festival Promises Plenty to Enjoy

July 22, 2026
Chance (Photo: Summers Co. Humane Society)

Pet of the Week: Meet Chance

July 22, 2026

Governor Morrisey Declares State of Emergency for All 55 Counties Due to Severe Weather

July 22, 2026

Celebs join Instagram 'freeze' to protest Facebook inaction

by CHARLES BEMO
in National News
December 5, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0

LONDON (AP) — Kim Kardashian West, Katy Perry, Leonardo DiCaprio and other celebrities are taking part in a 24-hour Instagram “freeze” on Wednesday to protest against what they say is parent company Facebook’s failure to tackle violent and hateful content and election misinformation.

Hollywood stars and influencers are lending their backing to the “#StopHateforProfit” movement’s latest campaign. The movement asks people to put up a message highlighting what they called the damage Facebook does but otherwise refrain from posting on Instagram for a day.

“I can’t sit by and stay silent while these platforms continue to allow the spreading of hate, propaganda and misinformation – created by groups to sow division and split America apart – only to take steps after people are killed,” Kardashian West posted on her Instagram account on Tuesday.

Facebook declined to comment but pointed to recent announcements about what it’s doing to limit the reach on its platform of groups that support violence and its efforts to protect the U.S. election in November.

With 188 million followers, Kardashian West is one of the most influential people on Instagram and support from her and other big names for the boycott saw Facebook shares slide in aftermarket trading late Tuesday. They were down 1.7% ahead of the market open on Wednesday.

The organizers behind “#StopHateforProfit,” including civil rights groups such as the Anti-Defamation League, the NAACP and Color Of Change, had previously led a campaign that got hundreds of brands and nonprofits to join a Facebook advertising boycott in July.

Ashton Kutcher, Mark Ruffalo, Kerry Washington, Rosario Dawson, Jamie Foxx and Sacha Baron Cohen were among about two dozen Hollywood stars and celebrity influencers supporting the campaign, the organizers said.

DiCaprio said he was standing with the civil rights groups to call “on all users of Instagram and Facebook to protest the amplification of hate, racism, and the undermining of democracy on those platforms.”

Facebook, which earned nearly $70 billion in advertising revenue last year, is facing a reckoning over what critics call indefensible excuses for amplifying divisions, hate and misinformation on their platforms.

“We are quickly approaching one of the most consequential elections in American history,” organizers said. “Facebook’s unchecked and vague ‘changes’ are falling dangerously short of what is necessary to protect our democracy.”

The movement also singled out for criticism Facebook’s handling of online material ahead of the shootings in Kenosha, Wisconsin last month. CEO Mark Zuckerberg has said the company made a mistake in not removing sooner a page belonging to a militia group that called for armed civilians to enter the town. It only took the page down after an armed teenager killed two people after violent protests sparked by the police shooting of Jacob Blake, who is Black.

This page is available to subscribers. Click here to sign in or get access.

CHARLES BEMO

Related Posts

National News

Senator Ricketts Opening Statement at EPW Subcommittee Hearing to Examine Endangered Species Act Implementation

March 18, 2026
NORAD Photo
National News

NORAD Set to Track Santa Tonight

December 24, 2025
National News

Afghan National Charged with the Murder of National Guard Soldier Sarah Beckstrom Charges Also Filed in the Ambush Shooting of Guardsman Andrew Wolfe

December 3, 2025
West Virginia State Capitol on the Kanawha River in Charleston, West Virginia, USA.
National News

Governor Patrick Morrisey Releases Updated Statement on WV Guard Shooting

November 26, 2025
Load More

Next Post

MANCHIN, CAPITO ANNOUNCE $824K FOR SCHOOL SAFETY MEASURES IN GRANT, POCAHONTAS, UPSHUR, AND MARSHALL COUNTIES

The Hinton News

The Hinton News has been serving Hinton and surrounding areas of Summers County since 1902.

Information

  • Login
  • Home
  • Subscribe to The Hinton News
  • Privacy Policy
  • Ethics, Standards, Corrections
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact Us

Copyright © 2022 Hinton News, powered by ECENT CORPORATION. All Rights Reserved | TEL: 304.466.0005 | hello@hintonnews.com

No Result
View All Result
  • Login
  • Subscribe to The Hinton News
  • _______________
  • Home
  • Print Editions
  • News
    • Local News
    • State News
    • National News
    • Crime
    • Government
  • Community
  • Obituaries
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Public Notices
  • Public Announcements
  • Contact Us

Copyright © 2022 Hinton News, powered by ECENT CORPORATION. All Rights Reserved | TEL: 304.466.0005 | hello@hintonnews.com